Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Placebo

I am an insomniac. I have a lot of trouble sleeping. I often take sleeping aids so that I can get to sleep.

My husband also has some problems with sleep - mainly brought on by his cocktail of prescriptions which are meant to keep him sane. He also gets sleeping drugs. Mainly so that he can stay asleep.

Kidis like me. She has trouble getting to sleep. For the longest time she was staying awake until 11 pm or so - despite bedtime at 7:30 or 8:00. We did all the relaxing stuff but it just didn't seem to work. She asked me if there was a medicine she could take to help her sleep.

 I briefly considered a shot of alcohol. For me  - not here - geez!

But, what I did do is give her a little medicine cup filled with tap warm. "Here, try some Placebo to help you sleep." I offered. And it worked. Although she did complain about the taste, "It tasted like water - but yucky, gross water." Over the next few weeks we experimented with various flavours of Placebo like cherry, lemon and lime. And it usually worked. I place a great deal of emphasis on the name.

Eventually her preschool teacher greeted me one afternoon with a comment about the Kid's sleeping aid, Placebo. She was laughing her head off. Not too surprising considering that she'd had to deal with Kid and the province mandated 1-hour nap period (or rather hell time since the kid can't really nap and likes to talk).

Luckily, Kid seems to be sleeping much better these days. It has been a long time since I've had a request for Placebo from her.

No comments:

Post a Comment