Tuesday, December 14, 2010

When I grow up...

I think I was meant to work in the graphic design field. It all started in the mid-1980s when my dad bought The Print Shop for our Apple II. I had a ton of fun playing around with that program – I made cards, stationary, posters, etc… My friend Elizabeth and I raised money for sleepover candy by selling the results to her siblings.

I also spent a fair amount of time at the cottage creating magazines and booklets. Basically scrapbooking – which essentially is graphic design.

For years afterwards I would do bits of design – just whatever came naturally – until I discovered that graphic design would be a major element of the job I was interviewing for at United Way. I found this out in the middle of the interview. I remember feeling shocked at realizing that I could, potentially, earn a living doing something that feels so much like play.
It's been over 10 years since that day. I'm still at United Way and while my role has changed considerably I still feel like I'm being paid to play.

1 comment: