Sunday, January 16, 2011

Doing my part for Haiti

The kid doesn't really understand all the horrible stuff that happens in our world. But she can read the newsletters and flyers that come home from school. The latest one asked us to "bring in your empties for Haiti."

Kid kept telling me that we had to bring in our empties. I had to sit her down - again - and explain that we have none.
Me: Kid, Mommy and Daddy don't have any empties.
Kid: Why not?
Me: Empties come from drinking alcohol - beer, wine that sort of thing.
Kid: (blank stare)
Me: Mommy and Daddy don't drink alcohol. Hence we have no empties.
Kid: But what about Haiti!
Me: What happened in Haiti, Kid?
Kid: (blank stare)
A few days later she brought it up again...
Kid: I talked to M, her parents don't either but she signed up.
Me: (blank stare) What are you talking about?
Kid: Haiti and the empties.
Me: How is M participating if her parents don't drink?
Kid: She just is.
Me: They must drink wine or beer or something. Either way, we can't participate because we don't drink.
Kid: But what about Haiti?
Me: And what about all the kids her in our town that don't have food or safe places to sleep?
Kid: I don't want to talk about this anymore.

So, there you have it. I'm not going to risk Hubby's sanity and ask him to take up drinking to help out Haiti. I'm also not going to start drinking (which causes issues with my now active Crohn's) for Haiti. And really, why is my kid's school encouraging the kids to encourage their parents to drink? I must have missed that memo.

2 comments:

  1. Out here empties also includes pop or water bottles. And the kids often go door to door to get them if they feel strongly about it (this would be the reason that I never got involved. I hated going door to door).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't want to go door to door either! I bet you could get a lot of stuff that way. Sadly, Ontario only pays for liquor related bottles.

    ReplyDelete