Sunday, January 9, 2011

Hooked on Phonics

While kid and I were driving to meet a friend for dinner she told me all about her day. One of the highlights of her day was spelling dolphin correctly. The conversation went something like this.
[I'm driving the car. It recently snowed so people are a little stupider than normal.]
Kid: Can you spell dolphin, Mommy?
Me: Ah, D-O-L-P-H-I-N
Kid: No! You're wrong?
Me: Really? (confused) I'm pretty sure it is D-O-L-P-H-I-N
Kid: Nope. You forgot the F.
Me: Uh, there isn't an F in Dolphin.
Kid: Yes there is. D-O-L-L-F-I-N
Me: No. That is not how you spell dolphin.
Kid: Yes it is. You are wrong, Mommy.
Me: No, really. That is not at all correct.
Kid: Yes it is. You are wrong, Mommy.
Me: No. Really. Dolphin is not spelled by putting the word Doll next to the word Fin.
Kid: Yes it is.
Me: No it isn't.

[This goes on for quite a bit. She keeps insisting I'm wrong. I keep insisting that I'm right]

Me: Seriously Kid! If I am wrong and Dolphin is actually spelled D-O-L-L-F-I-N in the dictionary we will move to Disney World.
Kid: And if I'm wrong?
Me: You'll go to bed without any fuss?
Kid: I don't want to talk about this anymore.

So, I won the argument. But did I really? I did argue with a 6-year-old. Who really wins in that situation?

Exactly, Daddy. Because he didn't have to ride in the car with us.

2 comments:

  1. Kids! I love their cute reasoning. It makes sense in their heads. Wouldn't it be great if kiddy reason worked in the real world? Well, at least part of the time? :) LOL

    ReplyDelete