Saturday, January 22, 2011

Reading above grade level

The Girl Who Owned a City was one of my favourite books growing up. I read it countless times in grade school. The premise of the book is that all the people over the age of 12 have died from a virus. Naturally, there is chaos as the children attempt to survive. Gangs develop and the main character comes up with the idea of a fortress where she and her friends can live safely.

The actual story wasn’t that fabulous but it certainly sparked my imagination. I put myself in the place of the main character and developed my own plans for what to do if such a scenario occurred. I actually asked my parents if that type of thing had ever happened before.

I read the book for the first time in fourth grade. In seventh or eighth grade, my class was assigned a book report on this novel and we had to write down what we would do – talk about having one’s homework done early!

No comments:

Post a Comment