Saturday, January 7, 2012

Sometimes my parents are creative. Sometimes they go with the crowd.

My sister and I were born 8 years, 2 months and 1 day apart. There are reasons for the significant age gap but the weird thing is our names.

My name is rather unique; especially the spelling. It was not a popular baby name in the 1970s. Heck, I think it was last vaguely popular in 1910. I was always frustrated that I couldn't find any "customized" items with my name on them in the stores.

My sister, on the other hand, can easily find her name splattered on all sorts of merchandise. Heck, a popular brand of nail polish boasts her moniker. My parents gave her one of the most popular names in the 1980s.

Seems kind of strange doesn't it?


I never ran in to many people with my name. Especially not my age. However, I did go to Girl Guides with a girl with the same name as me - although hers was spelled differently. We ended up in the same high school in grade 9.

My grade 9 English class was filled with people with the same name. Now, it isn't unexpected to find more than one Michael in a class but this class had duplicates of many less common names. Including mine. I'm pretty sure that wasn't a coincidence. Especially since there were eight pairs in a class of less than 30. But I must admit it was really weird not knowing if the teacher was referring to me when my name was called. She transferred to another school the next year and I was back to being "one of a kind".

2 comments:

  1. Google "Trudi" and you are the sixth reference that pops up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nicole. I am not a singer, actor, musician, writer, director and producer. I can't sing or speak in a variety of languages including Yiddish, Hebrew, Ladino, German, Spanish, French and Italian.

    Although there are apparently 25 professionals named Trudi in Canada.

    ReplyDelete