Monday, September 17, 2012

Mommy knows what a good book is

I have finally convinced the kid to listen to my book suggestions. It only took several years of battle. She was going through an Archie comic book faze which I decided to put an end to. By forcing her to read The Indian in the Cupboard.

She fought me tooth and nail. Then she started to read it. It was done in two hours and then she asked for more recommendations.

I've been trying to get her to read The Famous Five series by Enid Blyton for several months. She finally agreed to read it after she realized that Mommy was the one that recommended Harry Potter and most of the other books that she loves. Now she's mad that I don't have all the other books in the series for her.

But, I don't let her read everything. I was okay with her request to read Hunger Games but the Twilight series is off limits. I tried to explain that she wasn't allowed to read it because:
a. it is poorly written
b. the protaganist is a terrible role model

I finally got her to buy in to it when I added, "...and the vampires sparkle!" That did it. "They sparkle, that's stupid!" Crisis averted.

No comments:

Post a Comment